first_imgAt least two persons lost their lives and more than 35, including several police personnel, were seriously injured after violent clashes between two groups in Maharashtra’s Aurangabad district on Friday night.The district administration has clamped Section 144 and suspended Internet services in the city to prevent further violence.The deceased have been identified as 62-year-old Jaganlal Bansile of the Shahaganj area and Abdul Kadri,17, who allegedly died from a gunshot wound in police firing. Mr. Bansile’s shop was among those torched by the rioters and he could not escape as he was disabled.The rioting started in the Moti Karanja area around 10 p.m. and spread to Gandhi Nagar, Raja Bazaar, Shah Ganj and Sarafa areas, forcing police to fire in the air and lob teargas shells, an official said.Corporation crackdownTensions escalated after the Aurangabad Municipal Corporation cracked down on illegal water connections in the Moti Karanja area. In the drive, a tap at a shrine belonging to a community was removed. In retaliation, members of the community destroyed the water connection at the shrine of another community.The incident resulted in clashes across the city through the night with several shops and vehicles, including police vans, being set ablaze by rioters. At least 10 policemen were injured, including Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Govardhan Kolekar and in-charge of Kranti Chowk Police Station, Inspector Shrikant Paropkari, police sources said.The condition of ACP Kolekar, who was admitted to hospital after sustaining serious injuries in the stone-pelting, is said to be serious.Speaking in Pune, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis promised stern action against those responsible for instigating the clashes while lauding police authorities for bringing a potentially explosive situation under quick control.“16-17 persons have been detained by the police in connection with the riots. We are scrutinising the footage obtained from different points in the city. The clashes were engineered by certain anti-social elements and we appeal to residents not to believe in rumours doing the rounds on Whatsapp and other social media,” said Minister of State for Home Ranjit Patil.Additional forces“The clashes soon snowballed and spread to several other areas in Aurangabad city like Shahaganj and Chelipara. There were losses on both sides, with shops of the minority as well as Hindu communities being ravaged by rioters. However, everything is under control now,” said the acting Aurangabad Commissioner of Police Milind Bharambe on Saturday.Mr. Bharambe said police units had been brought in from adjoining districts.“The riots erupted over a banal issue. I urge the city’s residents not to place faith in rumours,” Aurangabad Mayor, Nandkumar Ghodele said.last_img read more

first_imgAngry over registration of cases against farmers for flouting the State government’s advisory against transplanting paddy saplings before June 20, farmer outfits in Punjab have threatened to launch an agitation against the authorities.“The government should immediately withdraw the cases registered against the farmers… The farming community is already facing economic distress and in such a scenario filing cases against them would only add to their miseries,” said Harinder Singh, general secretary of Bhartiya Kisan Union (Lakhowal).With an aim to preserve water and check the fast depleting groundwater table in the State, the Punjab government had this year asked farmers to start paddy transplantation after June 20 instead of June 15.“The government needs to understand that delay in transplanting paddy would cost the farmers dear. Delay in sowing means a delay in harvest… Paddy harvest usually takes place in October. At that time moisture starts setting in and if the harvest is delayed, the farmers would face difficulty in selling the crop due to high moisture content,” he said.Cultivation costMembers of the Bhartiya Kisan Union (Krantikari) on Wednesday staged a protest in Bathinda district against the police action against farmers transplanting paddy saplings.“We are demanding immediate withdrawal of cases against the farmers besides uninterrupted supply of at least eight-ten hours of power. Due to insufficient power supply, the farmers are forced to use generators to irrigate their fields which has increased the cost of cultivation,” said Surjit Singh, president of BKU (Krantikari).“If the government wants to implement the decision of delayed paddy sowing then it should relax the condition of 17% moisture content during the sale of crops. The moisture content limit should be increased to at least 24%,” said Mr. Singh, adding that if the government does not heed to their demands, the farmers would be forced to launch an agitation against the government.Opposition attackThe Shiromani Akali Dal has condemned the registration of cases against at least five farmers in Ferozepur for transplanting paddy before the June 20 deadline fixed by the Congress government.Former Minister and SAD leader Bikram Majithia said the government should talk to the farmers, listen to their problems and develop consensus on such issues instead of threatening them with police cases.last_img read more

first_imgIn the 18th century, British colonists shipped poor peasants from India across the globe to work on sugar plantations in the Caribbean. One laborer in Trinidad decided to build a place of worship for Hindus. He ended up creating an extraordinary monument to the tenacity of the human spirit. Visitors come from far and wide to pay homage to his memory in a lovely white temple located a quarter of a mile into the Caribbean Sea.The first time I saw it, in 1986, the temple was a group of murky ruins that stuck out of the ocean like the broken teeth of a vagrant. The original structure had been buffeted by tides, breezes and neglect for half a century and seemed about to dissolve into the past. On the shore, royal palms and green fields marked the site of a sugar plantation set up by the British colonists who had ruled Trinidad till 1962.I had heard something about this temple and wanted to know more. I wandered over to the closest village, a strip of low-built, green-doored cottages where former laborers on the sugar estate lived. It was called (fittingly) Waterloo. When I started making enquiries, a middle-aged Muslim man called Ibrahim Khan seized upon me. “A man went to jail for that temple!” he spluttered. Then the story emerged.The temple was built, he related, in the late 1930s, by his Hindu neighbor, Siewdath Sadhu, a poor laborer on the sugar estate. Sadhu was born in India in 1901 in the city of Benares on the holy river Ganges.“Sadhu was not a talker,” Khan recalled. “If you and he stayed together for hours you would hardly hear him talk. You had to do all the talking. He neither smoked nor drank.”The one thing that made Sadhu noticeable was that he saved his meager wages and went back to India every few years to worship at the holy shrines there.“I once asked him why he went back so often,” said Khan. “He said he had made a promise to Bhagwan (God) to return.”But as the years passed, the cost of the trip rose. It became difficult for a laborer working for around 20 Trinidadian dollars a month to keep up this regular pilgrimage. So he decided to create a holy place in Trinidad instead, close to the shore of the calm Gulf of Paria.“I believe the sea here was like the Ganges to him,” another villager piped in.Sadhu chose a piece of unused swampland and began construction. It continued month after month.“Seven days a week he used to pass my house on his bicycle,” Khan recalled. “I used to call out to him, ‘Salaam, salaam!’ and he used to reply with a Hindu greeting, ‘Ram, Ram.’ He wasn’t the kind of man to stop and chat, you know.”When Sadhu finished his temple, it was a place of renowned beauty.“You know that flower, gaandar kapoor (marigolds)?” Khan asked me. “He planted so much of it that you could smell the temple from a distance. He planted eleven kinds of flowers, and vegetables too. And that garden used to be full of the most beautiful butterflies. All kinds of butterflies that you don’t see anywhere else. You didn’t have to be one of the Hindu faith to feel the beauty of the place.”Sadhu had finally created a place of pilgrimage for Hindus in Trinidad.“Especially for Kartik (the festival of the sea), we used to have crowds of people here,” another villager remembered. “They used to have three day-festivals. People used to come and stay and cook and sing … But the management of the sugar company, which owned all the land in the area, noticed that a building had been constructed on their property. Though the swampy ground had no commercial or agricultural value, they demanded that Sadhu demolish the temple.That was asking him to commit a sin. No matter what threats they used, all he would say was, “I cannot break down that.”They took the matter to court. Sadhu was fined $500, more than two years’ wages, and was sentenced to 14 days in prison for trespassing. He had to pay the fine in instalments.“He went to jail!” Khan suddenly burst into tears. “Sadhu was such a soft man, and he made an honorable jail rather than break the temple.”The sugar company was granted a court order to demolish the temple. But since they could not persuade any local person to undertake this task, a British overseer named Gunn, “a large red-faced man,” according to Mr Khan, drove the bulldozer that finally wiped Sadhu’s creation from the face of the earth. Some villagers said that Sadhu warned Gunn, “Just as you break that temple with that bulldozer, so you too will be broken.” Others said he just pleaded quietly with the overseer. Whatever the truth, within a month, Gunn was dead. As he was bulldozing a tree some distance away, fell on him and broke his back.In addition, according to Ramnarine Binda, a former local government councillor and sugar company official I later interviewed, the Englishman who had given the order for the demolition died suddenly of disease soon afterwards.As soon as Sadhu was released from prison, said the villagers, he was back at the site of his former temple. He looked dejected, but not broken. He set about purchasing a truck. Then he began to collect damaged bricks from a nearby brick factory. He dumped them on the shore, day after day, load after load, in a straight line out to sea. Flattening them down by hand, he inched his way into the ocean with the truck. After several weeks, he had created an extended walkway into the water.Visitors were intrigued.I used to have two fishing trawlers,” Khan said, “and I used to be at the same spot in the evening waiting for them to come in. I used to watch Sadhu working for three-four hours out there in the sea. He got oil drums from a Unilever factory, filled them up with concrete and tied them together with steel. That was how he made the foundation of the temple.”One day, the tide came up while Sadhu was still working. His truck was trapped in the water and couldn’t be moved until the next morning. It was so badly damaged it couldn’t be repaired.“You would have thought that would stop Sadhu,” said Khan, raising his eyebrows. “But no. He just continued working. He would put two buckets onto the handlebars of his bicycle. In one, he would have cement, in the other, sand. And he would wheel those buckets out along the walkway he had made, day after day. That is how he built that temple. I am talking about one man, not six men. He did that for more than a year.“Sadhu was building, not just a temple, but an entire prayer complex, with three shrines, a kitchen, a dining room, a restroom and another room. Around the whole thing ran a verandah.”Added Binda: “We used to say the sea will wash away everything. Sometimes I used to pass and see him up to his waist in water, building. We all laughed at him, myself included.”But once the project was completed, it became the focus of admiration for visitors from far and wide. Hundreds of people came for days and weeks at a time, especially at Kartik and other important Hindu occasions. The sea rang with music and prayer.“I used to go out to sea with my trawlers,” said Khan. “And from miles away I could see Sadhu’s kootiah, white and beautiful in the distance. You could use it as a guide to go home.”Sadhu, too, finally went home, for his last pilgrimage in India. He died in 1970 of a heart attack. But before that, villagers say, he spent many happy hours in his temple. The fruit of his faith was then left in the hands of the sea, a fact that grieved Waterloo villagers of all faiths and races. Not only Hindus felt strongly about it.“I am a Muslim,” thundered Mr Khan on my visit, “and this is a Hindu business! But it is hurting me to see the destruction. A man made an honorable jail for that temple! You mean to say we can’t keep it up?”Author’s note:Khan got his wish. After I wrote an article on the temple for a local publication, the temple was restored. It is now a major visitors’ site in Trinidad and Sadhu’s memory is cherished by all Trinidadians. Related Itemslast_img read more

first_imgYogeshwar Dutt will lead India’s challenge in the Olympic wrestling competition on Saturday after Amit Kumar and Narsingh Pancham Yadav crashed out of the competition. Dutt will take on Bulgaria’s Anatolie Ilarionovitch Guidea in the opening round of the men’s 60kg freestyle wrestling event.India’s best bet in the sport, Sushil Kumar, will fight it out in the 66kg category on the concluding day of the London Olympics on Sunday.The Indian wrestlers started their Olympic campaign on a disappointing note with Amit and Narsingh Yadav failing to win any medals.Narsingh Yadav also bowed out of the Olympics, losing his opening fight in the men’s 74kg event.Eighteen-year-old Amit, the youngest-ever Indian wrestler in the Olympics, raised hopes of a bronze medal after he moved into Repechage 2.But there he lost 0-3 to Bulgarian Radoslav Marinov Velikov, a Beijing Games bronze medallist, failing to qualify for the 55kg category’s bronze medal match.Amit, who had received a first round bye, had won 3-1 over Iran’s Hassan Sabzali Rahimi in the pre-quarterfinal.The Indian, however, failed to repeat his performance and lost his quarterfinal bout 1-3 to Georgian Vladimer Khinchegashvili.However, it was Khinchegashvili, who gave Amit a lifeline by qualifying for the final round.But the Indian found it tough against the Bulgarian, a former world champion, in Repechage 2.Narsingh was not so lucky as he suffered a first round loss to Canadian Matthew Judah Gentry 1-3.Gentry then lost his quarterfinal bout 1-3 to American Jordan Ernest Burroughs, ending Narsingh Yadav’s hopes of making the repechage round.advertisementlast_img read more

first_imgApple’s anniversary edition iPhone 8 is set to launch soon. The phone has been in buzz for past few months. The rumours that have constantly been pouring in have left almost nothing for the imagination. The iPhone will come with true tone display, ditch headphone 3.5mm headphone jack, support wireless charging and similar more rumours are doing rounds.There are talks that Apple could integrate a 3D sensor in the iPhone 8 which could be used to unlock the device by facial recognition. Now a new rumour suggests that the same 3D sensor could also act be used to silence the incoming notifications on the iPhone.Guilherme Rambo, an iOS developer has unlocked a new code in the HomePod firmware that suggests that sensor can also mute the notifications when user looks at the display. The revelation leads us to the following 3 possibilities:– First, the 3D sensor could be placed at the front since it has to perform multiple functions via facial recognition.– If the 3D sensor can also mute the notifications, then there’s no need for a physical button. Apple phones come with a physical button to silence the notifications which may be ditched in iPhone 8.– No touch ID. Reports of Apple mulling to do away with Touch ID is already in buzz. With 3D sensor’s multi-functionality there are higher chances that there would be no Touch ID in the anniversary edition iPhone 8.Also, in such a scenario, the 3D sensor will have to be manually set to perform any task. It can either unlock a phone or mute  the notifications , only one function at a time.advertisementFurther, a dummy video by a YouTuber Danny Winget shows a comparison between iPhone 7s Plus and iPhone 8. The latter appears to be smaller in height and width than the Plus variant. The alleged iPhone 7s Plus is seen with the same horizontally aligned camera set up, a glass body and a home button where as the iPhone 8 is seen sporting a  bezel less screen, no home button and wit several sensors on front.Also Read: iPhone 8 specs and key features leak, this year’s iPhone will be truly differentIn  separate leaks coming from popular tipsters Benjamin Geskin and Ben Miller , the iPhone 8 is speculated to come in two new colour variants- Copper Gold and Copper Gold.#iPhone8 Design-Dummy, das Display wre gr?er als jenes eines Plus-Modells, aber im Gehuse eines regulren. Ben Miller (@bensen) August 9, 2017I think It can look amazing | #iPhone8 Copper Gold(Model by AppleiDesigner, color by Me) Benjamin Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1) August 9, 2017last_img read more

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Pearce tribute to Liverpool veteran Milnerby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveEngland great Stuart Pearce has paid tribute to Liverpool veteran James Milner.Pearce managed Milner when he was in charge of England U21’s from 2007-2013.He told talkSPORT: “Three words that I would [use to] describe him: resilient, professional and relentless. I think that sums Milly up.”He covers 12, 13 kilometres a game, so I think somewhere in the midfield three [is his position]. But if you asked him to play anywhere, he’d go on the pitch and play anywhere for you. Sensational professional.” last_img

first_imgNova Scotians are being asked to help slow the spread of a lethal bat disease, called white-nose syndrome, that has been detected in the little brown bat population in the province. “Although there is no health risk to people, we are encouraging people to stay out of caves and old mine workings that are home to bats to limit opportunities for cross-contamination,” said Natural Resources Minister Charlie Parker. Nova Scotia is the fourth province to discover the fungus, known as Geomyces destructans, which leaves a white ring around a bat’s nose, ears or wings. A bat flying around in daylight near Brooklyn, Hants Co., on March 23 tested positive. The diagnosis was made at the Canadian Co-Operative Wildlife Health Centre in Prince Edward Island. The disease was first confirmed in New York state in 2006, and spread across the northeastern states into Ontario and Quebec during the past two years. It was also discovered in New Brunswick last month. “It’s necessary to implement measures to control the spread of the fungal spores associated with the spread of white-nose syndrome,” said Natural Resources biologist, Mark Elderkin. “Our focus now is to better understand the geographic extent of bats carrying the fungus, while carefully monitoring over-wintering sites.” Insect-eating bats are crucial to a healthy ecosystem by helping to control pests, including the spruce budworm, that are destructive to the forestry and agriculture sectors. The Department of Natural Resources is asking people to report sightings of day-flying bats and other unusual behaviour to a local office. Where possible, people should also avoid handling bats.last_img read more

first_imgWINNIPEG – A Manitoba law that forbids provincial politicians from switching parties by crossing the legislature floor is still alive after a judge rejected a request for a fast-track ruling that the law is unconstitutional.The Progressive Conservative government has already said it plans to repeal the law — believed to be the only one of its kind in Canada — in the near future.Steven Fletcher, an Independent member who was kicked out of the government caucus in June, wanted the law struck down before the legislature reconvenes this week following the summer break.“The legislature sits on Wednesday. (Fletcher’s) charter rights are being offended,” Fletcher’s lawyer, Bill Gange, told court Monday.A lawyer for the provincial government said that while the province plans to lift the floor-crossing ban soon — as early as Nov. 9 depending on how quickly legislation can be passed — the government denies the law is unconstitutional.“The government intends to repeal it because it is bad policy. (That) is different,” government lawyer Michael Conner said.Fletcher was kicked out of the governing Progressive Conservative caucus after criticizing the government’s plan to set up a new Crown corporation to promote energy efficiency.The former federal cabinet minister filed a lawsuit in August that asked Court of Queen’s Bench to strike down a section of the Legislative Assembly Act which says politicians who leave or are removed from one party’s caucus cannot join another. The law, enacted in 2006 by the former NDP government, requires such politicians to either sit as Independents in the legislature, or resign their seat and run in a byelection under a new party banner.Fletcher’s statement of claim alleges the law violates his rights of expression and association under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.Justice David Kroft said the matter warrants a full hearing and court dates will be set aside in the coming months. Both sides agreed the hearing may be moot at that point if the legislation ending the floor-crossing ban is passed and enacted.Fletcher has been coy about whether he would join another party’s caucus. If he were to join the Liberals, it would give them a fourth legislature seat — enough for official party status and the extra funding and staff that comes with the designation.He has also floated the idea of forming an entirely new caucus with disgruntled members of existing parties.“Mr. Fletcher wants to have the liberty to explore all of his options,” Gange said outside court.“Mr. Fletcher has had discussions with various individuals about options that are open to him, and those individuals would be both people within the legislature and people outside the legislature.”last_img read more

first_imgAdvertisement Twitter If Quebec Finance Minister Carlos Leitao has his way, streaming giant Netflix could soon have to collect Quebec’s sales tax (QST) from its customers.But Leitao says before that can happen, he first needs to know the details of the deal that Ottawa has struck with Netflix.Last week, the online entertainment company agreed to spend $500 million over five years on Canadian content, in exchange for not having to charge its customers the federal goods and services tax (GST). Advertisement Facebook Quebec’s political parties formed a common front on Tuesday to demand companies such as Netflix pay provincial sales tax. (Matt Rourke/Associated Press)center_img LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: “We need to know why the federal government may exempt this one company: what kind of an agreement was reached with this company?” Leitao said.He said it’s very odd that Ottawa would exempt a company from paying a tax that all companies are expected to collect.Quebec Finance Minister Carlos Leitao said it’s very odd that Ottawa would exempt Netflix from paying a tax that all companies are expected to collect. (CBC)Quebec politicians of all stripes agree with the Liberal finance minister.A vote in the National Assembly Tuesday on a motion demanding that all foreign web-based companies collect QST from their customers passed unanimously.Artists in Quebec are also unhappy with the move.Sophie Prégent of the Union des Artistes said Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly didn’t realize the anger her deal with Netflix would cause, especially among the country’s artistic class.“Maybe she underestimated the furor in the industry, on the ground,” she said.READ MORE Advertisementlast_img read more

17 June 2010Political solutions that address the grievances which fuelled the long-running civil war in Sri Lanka are necessary to heal the wounds left by the conflict, the top United Nations political official said today as he wrapped up a two-day visit to the South Asian country. “Bitterness and division that took decades to accumulate will not dissolve overnight in Sri Lanka, but now is the time to make major efforts to begin healing those wounds,” B. Lynn Pascoe, Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs, told journalists in the capital, Colombo.The Government has taken measures since the war ended in May last year to show a shift away “from war footing to a peacetime mindset,” such as relaxing emergency decrees, but more opportunities could be taken to diminish the military presence in the former conflict areas.“It is also critical to safeguard the independence of institutions, freedom of the press and the work of non-governmental actors,” said Mr. Pascoe.The Under-Secretary-General held talks yesterday with President Mahinda Rajapaksa in what he termed a “good meeting,” before holding discussions with other Cabinet officials, including Foreign Minister G. L. Peiris and Attorney General Mohan Peiris. He also met with leaders of the political opposition, Tamil and Muslim representatives, civil society organizations and members of the diplomatic corps.In Mullaitivu, a northern town formerly controlled by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and site of the final battles with Government forces, Mr. Pascoe said he saw local officials working “energetically on behalf of the returnees” who number some 60,000 in the camps and 90,000 living with host families.“The United Nations appreciated the Government’s efforts thus far, supported by the international community,” Mr. Pascoe told journalists, commending UN efforts carried out under the leadership of UN Resident Coordinator Neil Buhne.He praised the reopening of schools and access to food and basic health care, but said one of the biggest concerns is the lack of building materials to reconstruct homes.Turning to accountability for the allegations of humanitarian and human rights violations during the conflict, Mr. Pascoe said that Government officials had assured him that the Lessons Learned and Reconciliation Commission “will provide Sri Lankans with a credible and independent accountability mechanism.”While the Secretary-General intends to “soon” establish a panel of experts that will advise him on international standards and comparative experiences with accountability, “responsibility for carrying out a credible process” rests first and foremost with the Sri Lankan authorities.This was Mr. Pascoe’s third visit to Sri Lanka since last year. read more

EVERETT, Wash. – Police in Everett, Washington, say they have searched a portion of a Boeing aircraft plant after two employees reported seeing what appeared to be an armed man, but officers found nothing to substantiate the reports.More than two hours after the 7 p.m. reports of a man possibly carrying a rifle, police spokesman Aaron Snell said Thursday night that the search was over. He said police feel confident “there is no threat to employees here at Boeing.”Snell says officers interviewed both people who called 911. He says Everett police and officers from several area departments searched.He says the callers saw something suspicious and “did the right thing by calling 911.”A number of Boeing workers were evacuated during the search.Boeing tweeted that both police and company security completed their search and “are confident there is no threat.” AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email by The Associated Press Posted Oct 30, 2014 9:16 pm MDT Police search Boeing aircraft plant in Washington after reports of armed man; nothing found read more

SAN ANTONIO — Jordan Davis and Jonah Radebaugh scored 20 points apiece and Northern Colorado rolled to a 90-64 win over Incarnate Word on Wednesday night.Davis also had five rebounds, six assists and four steals for the Bears (3-0). Bodie Hume added 13 points and eight rebounds and Jalen Sanders had 10 points and five boards.Northern Colorado shot 56 per cent from the field compared to 42 per cent for Incarnate Word, made 18 of 20 of their free throws (90 per cent), and had a 41-21 rebounding edge.Hume drained three 3-pointers and Radebaugh added a fourth as part of 14-3 start for the Bears and they never looked back, building to a 49-31 advantage at the break.Incarnate Word closed to 51-43 early in the second half but Northern Colorado came alive again on 3-pointers by Radebaugh, Davis and Trent Harris to stretch it to 62-45 with 12:53 to play.Christian Peevy scored a career-best 26 points to lead the Cardinals (4-4). Augustine Ene added 16 points and seven boards.The Associated Press read more

Instagram told the sister of murdered 14-year-old Breck Bednar that he would have to make a complaint himself for a new profile set up by trolls in his name to be removed. Breck’s mother, Lorin LaFave, said that episode had left her daughter “desperately upset” and called for the new Duty… The family have condemned Instagram for ignoring their pleas to ban the account for almost a month after it was discovered by Breck’s 17-year-old sibling. The account, which garnered more than 50 followers, had a mocking bio that read: “I am a 14-year-old gamer that owns a 2 million dollar bitcoin company although I am currently deceased.” Instagram took the account down after being contacted by the Telegraph.

first_imgThe Doe Run Co’s Missouri-based mine rescue teams recently captured the highest mine rescue honors in the US – as well as the company’s best finish in its 35-year mine rescue contest history. From July 27 to 29, Doe Run’s Maroon and Gray teams competed in the Mine Safety and Health Administration’s (MSHA) 2010 Metal/Nonmetal National Mine Rescue Contest. Doe Run’s Maroon Team prevailed against 38 other teams from 16 states to win the field competition, capturing the national championship title. Doe Run’s Gray Team also qualified for the final round, marking the first time in history that both teams advanced. “Safety is paramount to our business, so all of us at Doe Run not only appreciate, but also applaud the employees who dedicate their time to this critical area,” said Jerry Pyatt, Doe Run’s Vice President, Domestic Operations and COO. “Although Doe Run’s mine rescue teams won the awards, the real winners are our employees working underground, who go to work every day knowing the best mine rescuers in the nation are at the ready.”To win, the team managed a simulated mine emergency that tested how well its members adhered to mine rescue procedures and how quickly they completed specific tasks. The Maroon Team consists of Luke Davis, Denny Dickerson, Andrew Hampton, Steve Kearns, Jerry Laramore, Ricky Martin, Shawn Pratt and Steve Setzer.Two members of Doe Run’s Gray Team, Garry Moore, Jr. and Kenny Wood, were also awarded honours with a third place finish in the two-man technician competition. That event tests the team’s skills on mine rescue equipment, including breathing units, gas detectors and communications systems. Recently, Moore and Wood earned third place in the same event at the 40th Southern Regional Mine Recue Classic in New Iberia, La. The Gray Team includes Brad Beck, Randy Hill, Kevin James, Wayne Marlin, Garry Moore, Jr., Kenny Sherrill, Charlie Walker and Kenny Wood.“Competitions like these are invaluable, because they simulate the same type of pressure the teams face underground in a real emergency,” said Bob Roscoe, who served on Doe Run’s mine rescue team for 20 years, and currently serves as Doe Run’s Vice President of Mining. “By training and testing year-round, mine rescuers have already been drilled on multiple situations. If an event occurs, they respond cohesively, efficiently and almost naturally.”Staying at the top of their game requires rigorous training. For preparation, Doe Run’s mine rescue teams train eight hours monthly. They’re drilled on emergency scenarios using the most current technology available. The regimen increases to 40 hours monthly during competition season, which sharpens skills and brings rescuers together to share best practices. Doe Run’s teams train by simulating emergency response disasters at the company’s West Fork Mine, located in southeastern Missouri. Scenarios are often created by the opposing team or team alumni. Team members then collaborate and critique each other, and learn from the expertise and best practices shared by tenured team members.This fall, both of Doe Run’s mine rescue teams will compete in the 28th annual Southeast Missouri Mine Rescue Contest at Missouri University of Science & Technology in Rolla, Mo. Last year, the Maroon Team successfully captured the Best in State title for a record fourth consecutive year. In November, the Maroon and Gray technician teams will compete against the best in the world, in the International Mine Rescue Competition near Sydney, Australia.Doe Run’s success in mine rescue contests correlates to its overall safety record. Because of Doe Run’s commitment to safe mining practices, the company’s six underground lead mines, located in Missouri’s Viburnum Trend, have earned MSHA’s prestigious Sentinels of Safety Award more than 24 times since 1971.All new mining employees undergo 40 hours of in-depth safety training on MSHA guidelines. In addition, Doe Run has built emergency safety features into the mines, including a number of secondary escape shafts and ventilation holes. The mines, many of which are interconnected by miles of underground roadways, have also established a number of underground designated points of safety. These safe areas contain breathing air, drinking water, first-aid supplies and phones.Lead mining in Missouri is conducted entirely underground, usually at a depth of 245 to 365 m below the surface. At this level, the mines consist mainly of dolomite, a strong type of rock with natural geologic properties that make it naturally stable. For added safety, Doe Run uses careful and methodic mining practices, including the room-and-pillar mining method in which rock pillars (up to 10.7 m wide and 36.5 m tall) support the ground above. Mine ceilings are also secured with roof bolts, which help support up to 18 t of rock in active mine areas. Doe Run also uses remote mining, in which an electronic remote control unit allows miners to safely operate a loader and excavate blasted ore from hundreds of metres away (international Mining, December 2008).last_img read more

first_imgMIAMI (WSVN) – Police are seeking the public’s help after, they said, a man went missing while heading home in Miami.According to Miami-Dade Police, 61-year-old Romas “Dogman” Washington went missing on Friday. He was last seen along the 5200 block of Northwest 29th Avenue.Washington was last seen wearing a red sweater, blue pants, one black shoe and one brown shoe. Police said he is also missing all of his teeth.If you have any information on Washington’s whereabouts, call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.last_img

first_imgJohnson Publishing announced an awaited new wave of editorial leadership for its flagship monthly, Ebony. Emily Stokes has been named articles editor. Most recently, she had been senior features editor there.  Newsday announced that Ed Bushey has been promoted to senior vice president, general manager of Newsday Media Group. Bushey had been senior vice president of audience and operations. Jessica Derschowitz has been named weekend editor at Previously, she was a producer at Mayo will work closely with Kyles, who steps into a newly created role after joining Johnson Publishing in 2011 as senior editor for Jet, and most recently as its editorial director. So what can we expect from the two? Forbes announced today that Peter Macey has joined Forbes Media as Midwest sales director. Prior to joining Forbes Media, Macey was the vice president of Midwest sales at PointRoll and, from 2008-2012, Macey was a national ad director for WIRED where he developed cross platform solutions for a variety of brands. “Get ready for a new Ebony,” says Mayo in a statement. Ebony’s Mitzi Miller, quickly exited in February just months after her predecessor, Amy DuBois Barnett, left in 2014. The company has been battling instability ever since, now onto its third EIC in one year. Jet also ceased to exist in print anymore. Here’s the rest of this week’s people on the move: Although the announcement of Mayo’s promotion was just released, she has already produced three issues since Miller’s departure. Nicholas Blechman has been appointed creative director of The New Yorker. He is the art director of The New York Times Book Review, a position he’s held since 2006. He has also been the art editor for the Times’s Upshot web pages. Whitney Vargas has been named executive editor at T where previously she had been deputy editor. Isabel Wilkinson has been named senior online editor at the magazine. She had been senior editor at New York’s The Cut. Hannah Goldfield has been named staff editor at T; she had been associate editor at And Hanya Yanagihara has been named deputy editor at T. She had been editor at large at Condé Nast Traveler. There have been a number of promotions and hires, this week, at T: The New York Times Style Magazine. Hillary Busis has been named deputy entertainment editor at Mashable. Most recently, she was digital news editor at Entertainment Weekly. Kierna Mayo is now editor-in-chief and Kyra Kyles is head of digital. Mayo had been editorial director since 2011, while Kyles was the editorial director of sister publication, Jet. These two promotions fill a gap that’s existed since a series of editorial exits last year.last_img read more

first_imgTehran: A top aide to Iran’s supreme leader says the Islamic Republic is ready to enrich uranium beyond the level set by Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal, just ahead of a deadline it set Sunday for Europe to offer new terms to the accord. A video message by Ali Akbar Velayati included him saying that “Americans directly and Europeans indirectly violated the deal,” part of Tehran’s hardening tone with Europe. European parties to the deal have yet to offer a way for Iran to avoid the sweeping economic sanctions imposed by President Donald Trump since he pulled the U.S. out of the accord a year ago, especially those targeting its crucial oil sales. All this comes as America has rushed thousands of troops, an aircraft carrier, nuclear-capable B-52 bombers and advanced fighter jets to the Mideast. Also Read – EAM Jaishankar calls on European Parliament President David Sassoli Advertise With Us Mysterious oil tanker attacks near the Strait of Hormuz, attacks by Iranian-backed rebels in Yemen on Saudi Arabia and Iran shooting down a U.S. military drone have raised fears of a wider conflict engulfing the region. In the video, available Saturday on a website for Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Velayati said that increasing enrichment closers to weapons-grade levels was “unanimously agreed upon by every component of the establishment.” “We will show reaction exponentially as much as they violate it. Also Read – This is why Denmark, Sweden and Germany are considering a meat tax Advertise With Us We reduce our commitments as much as they reduce it,” said Velayati, Khamenei’s adviser on international affairs. “If they go back to fulfilling their commitments, we will do so as well.” Under the atomic accord, Iran agreed to enrich uranium to no more than 3.67 per cent, which is enough for peaceful pursuits but is far below weapons-grade levels of 90 per cent. Iran denies it seeks nuclear weapons, but the nuclear deal sought to prevent that as a possibility by limiting enrichment and Iran’s stockpile of uranium to 300 kilograms (661 pounds). On Monday, Iran and United Nations inspectors acknowledged it had broken the stockpile limit. Advertise With Us Combining that with increasing its enrichment levels narrows the one-year window experts believe Iran would need to have enough material to build a nuclear weapon, if it chose to do so. “This would be a very worrisome step that could substantially shorten the time Iran would need to produce the material needed for nuclear weapons,” said Miles Pomper, a senior fellow at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies’ James Marin Center for Nonproliferation Studies. “Both Iran and the Trump administration should be looking for ways to de-escalate the crisis, rather than exacerbate it.” It remains unclear to what level Iran will choose to up its uranium enrichment. However, Velayati in his remarks made reference to 5 per cent enrichment. “For Bushehr nuclear reactor we need 5 per cent of enrichment and it is a completely peaceful goal,” he said. Bushehr, Iran’s only nuclear power plant, is now running on imported fuel from Russia that’s closely monitored by the U.N. International Atomic Energy Agency. Iran stopped producing uranium enriched above 5% in January 2014 amid negotiations for the nuclear deal. Outside of Bushehr, higher-enriched uranium could be used for naval ships and submarines, something Iran has said it would want to pursue. Iran’s nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi said in 2016 that nuclear power plants for naval vessels need uranium enriched to at least 5 per cent. The U.S. said its ambassador to international organizations in Vienna, Jackie Wolcott, had requested a special meeting of the IAEA to discuss its “latest, concerning report on the Iran regime’s nuclear program.” That meeting is planned for Wednesday. Iran’s diplomatic mission to Vienna, where the IAEA is based, called the U.S. move “a sad irony” as America had unilaterally withdrawn from the deal a year ago.last_img read more