Indonesia, WHO confirm 2 girls died of avian flu

first_imgApr 4, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – The H5N1 avian influenza virus caused the deaths of two Indonesian girls, one late last month and the other dating back to July 2005, authorities said today.A 20-month-old girl from Kapuk, West Jakarta, who died on Mar 23, suffered from a fatal H5N1 infection, bringing to 30 the number of human cases of the illness in Indonesia. Twenty-three of those people died of the disease.The World Health Organization (WHO) announced confirmation of the toddler’s infection today. The agency said investigation has shown that chickens near her home were dying about a week before she got sick. Although chicken deaths are ongoing in her Kapuk neighborhood, authorities have not yet identified the cause, WHO added.Observation and testing of the girl’s contacts are under way, WHO said. Although initial tests have been negative, follow-up continues.In addition, an 8-year-old girl who died last July has finally been confirmed as a victim of H5N1, an Indonesian health ministry official told Reuters news service today. (Some earlier reports had listed her age as 9.)News reports from Indonesia in July said the girl had tested positive for the virus locally. The government had had problems obtaining blood samples for testing at the WHO reference laboratory in Hong Kong, the Reuters report said today. Indonesian authorities received the new test result yesterday, according to Reuters.The girl was part of a suspected family cluster of the first human H5N1 illnesses in Indonesia: her father, 38, and sister, 1, also died in July. Her father tested positive for the H5N1 virus, but the sister wasn’t tested, according to an Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) report today.“Some experts believe the lack of proper testing facilities in Indonesia is hampering the fight against the disease,” the story said, without giving names or other details.The story added that WHO has confirmed 8-year-old’s case as well, although WHO has not yet posted the information online. Assuming it is confirmed, the case will raise Indonesia’s death toll to 24 fatalities in 31 cases and increase the WHO’s global count to 109 deaths out of 192 cases.In other news, China appears to be acceding to international requests to share more information on avian flu. The nation will provide samples from four human patients to the WHO, said Wang Yu, director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, as reported by Xinhua, the government’s news service.Xinhua said China forwarded two samples to WHO last December as well. Still, the sharing of samples is far from complete, given that China has reported 16 H5N1 cases with 11 deaths.Recent human cases in Guangzhou and Shanghai have challenged Chinese authorities’ supposition that cases in rural areas are the result of the healthcare system and health conditions, Wang said in the Xinhua story. The urban cases show the virus can still infect people in places where the healthcare system is more advanced and hospital access is better.“Although there’s no evidence that the two patients had clear exposure to dead poultry, it doesn’t mean there’s no virus in poultry in the city environment,” added Wenqing Zhang of the WHO’s global flu program.See also: WHO situation update today on avian influenza in Indonesiahttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_04_04/en/index.htmlJul 20, 2005, CIDRAP News story on family cluster in Indonesiahttp://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/avianflu/news/july2005indo.htmllast_img read more

Read More →

Minister commends DSS for its resolve to dialogue with people

first_img Sharing is caring! Share Share Senator Alvin BernardMinister of State in the Ministry of Finance Senator Alvin Bernard has commended the management and staff of the Dominica Social Security for their resolve to dialogue with the people on whose behalf it exists.At the 5th stakeholders meeting on Thursday at the Fort Young Hotel, Senator Bernard also noted that the social security fund must be strengthened in order that future generations can receive pension payments. “I wish to commend the DSS for its continuing resolve to maintain a dialogue with the people on whose behalf it exists. Today’s theme “reforming to ensure a secure future for successive generations” speaks of the institution’s preoccupation with recommendations made to ensure the sustainability of the fund. Indeed, the fund must be strengthened to ensure that it will be able to pay pensions to future generations of Dominicans.”Mr Bernard further highlighted that as a result of the global recession pensions systems around the world will but this can be mitigated if measures are implemented early.“The truth is that pension systems will be affected by the global, economic and financial challenges. One way to reduce the impact is to undertake timely reforms and to get consensus from stakeholders on those reforms which are to be implemented.”He said his government is satisfied that the series of stakeholder consultations which the DSS recently undertook in an effort to gain public support for the required changes were sufficient.According to the minister DSS Investment Board must exercise prudence in determining what kinds of investments are pursed to ensure that the fund is sustained.“Of importance to the sustainability of the DSS fund is the quality of the investments which are being pursued. Investments must be productive, but must be subjected to the most rigorous risk analysis both technical and speculative. Investments therefore are critical in shoring up the finances of the social security.”He also challenged the DSS “to find ways of investing its reserve funds in areas that are safe and productive” as he says such investments “should lead to real economic growth and gains in productivity and create jobs which will result in increased contributions to the fund”. He further cautioned that “in the search for investment income, efforts must be made to conduct the necessary due diligence to ensure that investments are safe and there can be preservation of capital over time”.Mr Bernard also urged employers to make payments to the DSS on behalf of their employees in a timely manner as is required which will assist in the growth and sustainability of the fund.Dominica Vibes News 121 Views   no discussionscenter_img LocalNews Minister commends DSS for its resolve to dialogue with people by: – December 8, 2011 Share Tweetlast_img read more

Read More →

A reminder of Tottenham’s record v Man United at Old Trafford

first_img Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade RANKED Tottenham have won twice in 26 Premier League games at Old Trafford ALTERED Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade History is against Tottenham when they play Manchester United at Old Trafford on Monday night.Mauricio Pochettino’s men are looking to make it three wins from three and exploit the negativity surrounding their opponents.They won their last encounter, at Wembley in January, but Spurs’ record at their opponents’ ground is not good. How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures March 2015: Man United 3-0 TottenhamAugust 2015: Man United 1-0 TottenhamDecember 2016: Man United 1-0 TottenhamOctober: 2017: Man United 1-0 Tottenham England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Every Championship club’s best signing of the decade, including Taarabt and Dack MONEY Tottenham predicted XI to face Brighton with Mourinho expected to make big changes Prior to this, though, Spurs won two on the bounce there, with the 3-2 win in 2012 ending a 23-year wait for victory at the so-called ‘Theatre of Dreams’.Before then, you had to go back to December 1989 to see their last win at Old Trafford.United, meanwhile, need just one more goal to make it 300 scored against Tottenham in all competitions, with Spurs on 243 goals. Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade smart causal center_img Tottenham v Brighton LIVE: talkSPORT commentary and team news for Boxing Day opener possible standings gameday 1 Tottenham’s last four trips to Old Trafford silverware Football news Since the Premier League’s inception in 1992 the north London club have lost on 21 occasions at Old Trafford, drawn three times and won twice.They have failed to score on their last four visits, stretching back to March 2015, while the number of defeats is more than any other Premier League side. Best clips, calls and talkSPORT moments of 2019, feat Hearn, McCoist and more highlights impact REVEALED Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era?last_img read more

Read More →