Australia offer to host England fixtures: ECB

first_imgTHE England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have revealed Australia and New Zealand have emerged as contenders to host matches to help England complete its season.The ECB on Friday last extended the delay to the start of its season until July 1 at the earliest, with Australia’s white-ball tour that includes three T20s and three ODIs originally scheduled to start on July 4.ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said Friday the board had received “multiple offers” from other countries to help them complete the domestic season.His comments came after Surrey chairman Richard Thompson earlier said Abu Dhabi had offered to host matches for the ECB.“We’ve had offers as far away as Australia and New Zealand,” said Harrison. “Those offers are on the table.“I haven’t had anything from Abu Dhabi, but that’s not to say the offer hasn’t been made.”It’s unclear what offer from Australia was made to the ECB, following Cricket Australia CEO Kevin Roberts joining Harrison and 10 other chief executives on an ICC conference call to discuss responses to the COVID-19 pandemic last week.The CEOs discussed contingency planning for both the men’s T20 World Cup, as well as the women’s 50-over World Cup in New Zealand next year, with planning for both tournament’s continuing as scheduled for now.CA’s focus remains on ensuring this summer’s four-Test Border-Gavaskar series goes ahead, as well as the T20 World Cup that is scheduled to be played in October and November, as well as the WBBL and BBL domestic T20 tournaments.A ‘biosecurity’ option – where an international team could serve a quarantine, such at the Adelaide Oval’s under-construction 138-bed hotel in the eastern grandstand – is among the plans being considered.Roberts has indicated a decision on the T20 World Cup may not be made until August. The tournament requires 15 teams to fly in and play matches at seven venues around the nation between October 18 and November 15.And while Harrison said the ECB was still aiming to stage a full home 2020 international season, he warned: “We’re probably getting to the point now where any further delays beyond where we’ve already started planning for will involve losing cricket rather than rescheduling again.”England’s international season was due to start with three Tests against the West Indies from June 4, and the Caribbean authorities said they were “flexible” about rearranging the tour but would not risk their players’ health just to complete a three-Test series.English officials remain hopeful they can reschedule all international fixtures in a programme that also includes three more Tests against Pakistan and white-ball matches against Australia and Ireland, from July until September.It had earlier been reported in the UK media that Australia’s white-ball fixtures may be moved to September.CWI chief executive Johnny Grave insisted while the West Indies were open to a change of dates, player safety remained the priority.“Clearly playing in June is now not possible and we will continue our discussions with the ECB and other international boards on trying to find new dates,” said Grave in a statement from the governing body.“Our respective medical teams are beginning to discuss how this (England) series could be played whilst guaranteeing the health and safety of our players and support team.“We will be as flexible as we can without compromising the safety of our team,” Grave, himself an Englishman, added.Even if the two boards find mutually acceptable dates, Britain’s lockdown restrictions would have to ease for the series to take place in England and even rules banning mass gatherings would likely still be in force, meaning matches would have to take place behind closed doors.(Cricket Network)last_img read more

Read More →

Pizzeria owner who blew stolen €16,000 on gambling escapes jail

first_imgA pizzeria owner who stole more than €16,000 from his ex-girlfriend and bet the cash on two horses has escaped going to prison.Raul Andrei spent more than €70,000 opening up a franchise of Apache Pizza in Letterkenny, which he operated successfully for a number of months. However, Letterkenny District Court heard the 46-year-old developed a gambling habit after visiting a local casino.On October 14th last year while his partner was visiting friends in Dublin he gained access to the former house he shared with Oana Grigore at The Green, Ballymacool, Letterkenny.He stole the money and then went to his local branch of BoyleSport Bookmakers.He placed €10,000 on one horse and €6,720 on another on two different horses at two different race meetings but both lost.The court heard Andrei lost a considerable amount of money the previous day and was trying to win the money back.The accused told a friend that he had lost the money and was feeling suicidal and also telephoned his ex-partner and told her what had happened.The stolen money had come from the business and he had given it to his ex-partner but she had hidden the money as she was aware of the accused man’s gambling habit.Andrei was very remorseful and attended Gambler’s Anonymous and was also attending church meetings and no longer gambles.The couple have one child together and Andrei still pays his child’s creche fees and sees the child regularly.The court heard that the accused, of Sprackburn House, Letterkenny, is now working with a local company, earns €600 per week and is anxious to pay the money back to his ex-partner.The 47 year old no longer works at the pizza restaurant.At a previous sitting Judge Paul Kelly adjourned the case for a probation and community service report and also a to get a victim impact statement.He also ordered Andrei to pay back the money to his ex-partner.The court was told today (Mon) that Andrei has so far paid back €1,400 and continues to support his child and makes regular payments.Passing sentence Judge Kelly said this was a “serious theft and a serious breach of trust.”However, he added that the victim had been very compassionate towards her ex-partner and that the amount of cash taken warranted a custodial sentence.Because of the victim’s compassion and his co-operation he was not sending him to jail and ordered him to complete 180 hours community service for the of €10,000 in lieu of six months in jail and a further 180 hours for the theft of €6,720 in lieu of another six months in jail.Pizzeria owner who blew stolen €16,000 on gambling escapes jail was last modified: November 26th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Andreigamblingletterkennypizzeriastolenlast_img read more

Read More →