Still Seeking Buyer for Failing Arizona Coal Plant, Owners Are Running Out of Time

first_imgStill Seeking Buyer for Failing Arizona Coal Plant, Owners Are Running Out of Time FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Associated Press:A coal-fired power plant in far northern Arizona is set to shut down in 2019 unless a new owner can be found. The deadline for interested buyers is Sunday.The operator of the 2,250-megawatt Navajo Generating Station, the Salt River Project, says the deadline will determine whether to maintain the plant for long-term use or plan to tear it down. The utility and other owners voted this year to shutter the plant on the Navajo Nation near Page because natural gas became a cheaper option for energy production than coal.Peabody Energy, the owner of the coal mine that feeds the power plant, sees it differently. It hired investment firm Lazard earlier this year to look for new owners.The Navajo Nation and the Hopi Tribe want a new owner, too, because their budgets rely heavily on the vast reserves of coal mined from near Kayenta. Environmentalists who have fought the power plant on health and environmental grounds say the tribes instead should focus on renewable energy.Here is a look at the economics of the plant and what’s expected Sunday:WHAT IS THE SITUATION WITH THE PLANT?The plant was built in 1969 to power water delivery to the state’s desert region through a 336-mile canal system. The sole coal supplier is Peabody Energy’s Kayenta Mine, which ships the coal to the plant via rail line.The plant became a steady supplier of electricity to Arizona, Nevada and California over the decades. But utilities increasingly are switching from coal to natural gas, which is cheaper and better for the environment, or renewables. As a result, the plant’s owners say financial considerations make it impossible to keep the location open, and they want to shut it down. The loss of the plant would kill the coal mine, where hundreds of tribal members work.WHO IS LOOKING FOR NEW OWNERS?Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke says long-term operation of the plant is among the department’s top priorities.The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation owns a portion of the power generated from the plant and says it has to look out for the best interests of tribal governments. It is keeping the players talking about potential new ownership, cost-reduction at the power plant and mine, and new power buyers.But the customer base is dwindling. California cut out power from coal, and Nevada is doing the same. The largest user of power from the Navajo Generating Station, the Central Arizona Project, is in favor of ditching coal, too. Officials say they could have saved $38.5 million last year by buying power on the open market.Peabody argues that coal is more stable than natural gas, and it would offer a reduced price for it.WHO ARE THE POTENTIAL NEW OWNERS?No one will say. Prospective owners have signed confidentiality agreements. SRP gives them access to information on the plant, past performance, maintenance schedules and cost, existing lease agreements, the coal supply from Peabody Energy’s Kayenta Mine, staffing and union contracts through a virtual data room.SRP spokesman Scott Harelson says the utility has 14 signed non-disclosure agreements but it doesn’t know the level of interest.Peabody spokeswoman Beth Sutton wouldn’t say whether any serious contenders have been found, only that the company is pleased with the caliber of firms interested in the process.WHAT IS THE VALUE OF THE PLANT?Construction of the plant cost $650 million, according to SRP. Another $465 million went to pollution controls in later years. Harelson said the value now depends on how much money could be made running the plant.The owners don’t expect to make a huge profit if it sells.Operations and maintenance costs totaled $204 million in 2016. Environmental regulations also would factor in to future costs. The plant owners committed to shutting down one of the three units by 2020 to cut haze-causing nitrogen oxide emissions and install pollution controls on the other two units by 2030.WHAT HAPPENS OCT. 1?Harelson said it’s a firm deadline for interest from potential owners.Others see it as a softer deadline considering the Interior Department and Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, a former owner, have until Dec. 1 to sign off on the lease with the Navajo Nation that extended the plant’s operation through 2019.Harelson said Lazard has been communicating with the Navajo Nation, and SRP expects a list from the tribe by Sunday on interested buyers. Lazard didn’t return a call from The Associated Press. But a managing director, Juan Correa, told Arizona regulators earlier this year “the universe of buyers is relatively small.”WHAT’S IN IT FOR TRIBES?The Hopi Tribe’s interest is in coal royalties that make up 80 percent of its budget. Few of its members work at the power plant or mine.Hundreds of jobs for Navajos and 30 percent of the tribe’s budget would be lost if the plant and mine close. A new owner would have to negotiate a lease with Navajo.Meghan Cox, a spokeswoman for Navajo President Russell Begaye, said the tribe is hopeful for ownership proposals and looks forward to reviewing them.Percy Deal, a Navajo who lives south of the coal mine, says the Navajo Nation should stop wasting time thinking a new owner will come aboard. He said the economics don’t support keeping a coal plant open.More: Sunday deadline for interest in Navajo coal plant approacheslast_img read more

Read More →

UEFA president Ceferin: leagues ready to play behind closed doors

first_img Loading… UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said Monday that leagues across Europe were ready to return to action behind closed doors in a bid to limit the damage caused by coronavirus. UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin speaks during the UEFA Congress in Amsterdam in March Football leagues have been suspended since mid-March due to the pandemic which has claimed more than 100,000 lives throughout the continent. But the head of European football believes that playing would be an important step towards a return to normal life and avoid heavy financial losses for leagues. “I believe there are options that can allow us to restart cup championships and to complete them,” Ceferin said in an interview with Italian daily Corriere della Sera. “We may have to resume without spectators, but the most important thing, I think, is playing games. “It is early to say that we cannot complete the season. The impact would be terrible for clubs and leagues. Better to play behind closed doors than not at all. “In such hard times it would bring happiness to people and a certain sense of normality even if the games can only be seen on TV. “All activities are being organised to start again, everyone needs to find their lives. “If safety measures are respected and if the authorities give the green light, the training could resume like the rest. “Further consent will be needed for matches.” Read Also: Barcelona agree to play without fans until 2021 “Football is interconnected, we have seen how important it is for UEFA and leagues to work in good cooperation. The executive committee will review the cases.” He added: “Leagues are the revenue base for clubs nationwide. If completed, the financial consequences will be limited. “UEFA, on the other hand, will lose a lot of money for postponing Euro 2020.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Ceferin said that if leagues returned “soon enough” then Champions League and Europa League matches could “be played in parallel” with no date limit for the finals. The Slovenian said he was not in favour of the season going into September and October as it “would have a heavy impact” on the 2020-2021 campaign. “We can finish, but we must respect the decisions taken by authorities,” he continued. “The priority is the health of fans, players and coaches.” As for countries who have decided not to finish the season, Ceferin said that UEFA “will review the cases”. “Such decisions were not made alone,” he said. Promoted ContentEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show You8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthThe Network’s Greatest Shows On HBO8 Best 1980s High Tech GadgetsBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them9 Movie Scenes That Got Re-Shot And Saved The Whole MovieWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?The Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More7 Non-Obvious Things That Damage Your PhoneCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksMind-Bending Technology That Was Predicted Before It Appearedlast_img read more

Read More →

USC wants last word with Stanford

first_imgEven a fan who approached Carroll after practice this week begged him to put 70 points on the scoreboard. “I’m no fan of his,” the fan said, referring to Harbaugh. But with the Cardinal limping into the Coliseum minus their starting quarterback and with a shabby record (1-3, 0-3 Pacific-10), even the idea of running up the score seems a bit hollow today. Carroll laughed off suggestions this week he wanted some measure of revenge against Harbaugh, who said last spring Carroll would leave USC after this season. But Carroll’s never hidden his irritation at that comment and some other remarks by Harbaugh about Stanford’s more stringent admission standards. “I’ll just give one of my canned answers (at the press conference),” Carroll said about his feelings for Harbaugh. “I’m laughing all of this off.” For whatever reason, Harbaugh’s emerged with a prickly reputation in coaching circles. COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Harbaugh comments aside, Trojans try to regain form. By Scott Wolf STAFF WRITER One of the pressing questions this offseason was whether USC coach Pete Carroll might run up the score against Stanford following some controversial comments from Cardinal coach Jim Harbaugh. “I really want to beat him because of some of the things he said,” said a Pacific-10 Conference coach who referred to comments unrelated to USC. “He’s not a popular guy.” But the Carroll vs. Harbaugh rivalry might not have much fizz considering the lopsided matchup. Harbaugh’s certainly been gracious the past few months. “I admire the way they play … their athletes and the way they are coached,” he said. “This is one of college football’s true dynasty teams and I’m very impressed.” And Carroll’s got other concerns today. The No. 2-ranked Trojans (4-0, 2-0) laid an egg in Seattle last week and nearly lost to Washington, 27-24. That game kicked some urgency into a team that breezed past Idaho, Nebraska and Washington State. Carroll craves a four-quarter performance, which really only occurred against Washington State. “It doesn’t matter who we play,” Carroll said. “We have a standard we want to live up to no matter who we play. Last week we didn’t accomplish that or live up to that standard. “We could have easily lost last week like so many other teams.” His expectations are quite simple for today’s game: “If we play well, that’s all we hope for.” To do that, the Trojans better get more out of quarterback John David Booty although it might not matter against lowly Stanford. Booty was upbeat this week despite one of his worst performances, when he threw two interceptions and had two passes deflected. “Even the best pitchers in the world get jacked around sometimes,” Booty said. “I put it behind me.” It’s inconceivable Booty could struggle against Stanford like he did against Washington, but today’s game is also going to be an audition of sorts for freshman tailback Joe McKnight, who should get the most carries of his career after a disappointing start. “I’ve felt the whole time I’ve wanted to get him production in the offense, ” Carroll said. This appears to be the day because USC is without tailback C.J. Gable, who underwent groin surgery Friday. And tailback Stafon Johnson (bruised foot) is highly questionable. That leaves McKnight, Hershel Dennis and Allen Bradford as the backups behind starter Chauncey Washington (South Torrance High). And the offense should get plenty of opportunities. Stanford’s two-back offense, which offers few variations, plays right into USC’s hands defensively. “They have a lot of stuff but don’t run it because they don’t have confidence in it,” the Pac-10 coach said. Especially without their quarterback. Stanford quarterback T.C. Ostrander will miss the game after suffering a seizure at a restaurant last Sunday. He will be replaced by sophomore Tavita Pritchard, who has thrown only two passes this season. It’s not just that Stanford is undermanned and overwhelmed by USC’s talent. Arizona State held the Cardinal to three points last week and that was with Ostrander. But no one told Harbaugh this would be an overnight success. “We welcome guys who want to compete and fight,” Harbaugh said. “We are building that. We are getting more of that each and every week. You are finding out who those guys are. They make themselves known. They have a tremendous challenge this week and we welcome those guys who love to do that.” [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More →

REVIEW: TG4 DOCUMENTARY FAILS TO SHED NEW LIGHT

first_imgMichael Ferry, right, being taken into court in Donegal Town in December.Review: Micheál Ó Fearraigh: Feall i ndiaidh FillOver two years on from the conviction of Gaoth Dobhair paedophile Michael Ferry TG4 last night broadcast a programme about the affair.Ferry committed sickening attacks on young boys in the parish over a 20 year period, some of those attacks continuing after his 2002 conviction for similar offences. Most of the attacks took place at the Ardscoil Mhuire premises in Derrybeg where Coláiste Cholmcille ran courses for Irish language students.But last night’s TG4 programme, whilst reminding us all of the horrific story, failed to deliver any new material.In fact the documentary’s entire focus was on the unanswered questions on the affair, and it failed to answer any of them.It was a real shame as witnesses who saw Ferry driving a school bus in Dunlewey as late as 2006 – with children on board – were never interviewed for this programme. It was very much an historical documentary, rather than an investigative one.Questions which do need answered will only come once the DPP takes a decision on whether any new prosecutions are warranted; then we will have either another court case, or the release of a HSE report into the affair.Whatever the conclusion, it has taken far too long for this horrific affair to have an ending. REVIEW: TG4 DOCUMENTARY FAILS TO SHED NEW LIGHT was last modified: January 13th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GardaiHSEMichael FerryTG4last_img read more

Read More →