Reds decide against Suarez appeal

first_img The Liverpool striker had been given two days to decide whether to appeal after the incident during the 2-2 draw at Anfield on Sunday but has not done so. It means the Uruguay international will miss Liverpool’s last four games of this season and the first six domestic games of next season – potentially leaving him sidelined until October. Suarez released a statement in which he said he elected not to appeal because he realised his behaviour was unacceptable. He said: “I am truly very sorry about the incident with Branislav Ivanovic. I hope that all the people who I have offended at Anfield last Sunday will grant me forgiveness.” Suarez’s statement added: “I know that all the things that are happening to me in England will help me improve my conduct on the field. Right now I just want to focus on becoming a better footballer on and off the field. “I would like to explain to everybody that I decided to accept the ban because whilst 10 games is clearly greater than those bans given in past cases where players have actually been seriously hurt, I acknowledge that my actions were not acceptable on the football pitch so I do not want to give the wrong impression to people by making an appeal. “I really want to learn from what has happened in the last two and a half years, many things have been said and written about me, I just tried to do my best on the field. I hope to come back early to play.” Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre stressed Suarez himself had made the decision not to appeal, saying: “The charges against Luis were his to consider and we have to respect his decision to not appeal the 10-game ban. We are all disappointed at the severity of the punishment and in particular the differing standards that have been applied across various previous incidents. “Luis is an important member of our team and nothing has changed in that regard. We are committed to helping him improve his conduct and he will be given our full support. We look forward to him returning to the team next season when he is available for selection.” Reds boss Brendan Rodgers acknowledged Suarez’s absence will be felt, adding: “We can’t hide our disappointment at the outcome of this situation, but we have to move on and support Luis in his decision. Luis has made a huge contribution to the squad this season and we respect his decision to accept the ban. “He will be missed for the remainder of this season and the early part of next, but we will have the opportunity to welcome a better person and player when he returns.” Luis Suarez has accepted his 10-match ban imposed for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic, the Football Association has announced.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →

Scottie Pippen calls Duke’s Zion Williamson the best NBA prospect since Michael Jordan

first_img[email protected] tells @Rachel__Nichols that Zion is an even better prospect than LeBron was. pic.twitter.com/3ahcwKyIzb— NBA on ESPN (@ESPNNBA) February 2, 2019″I think he’s going to be a different player. I think he’s going to be a game-changer. And we’re going to see something special out of this kid,” Pippen said. Scottie Pippen thinks highly of Zion Williamson.The Bulls legend was asked about the forward’s potential on ESPN’s The Jump. He responded by calling Williamson the best NBA prospect since Michael Jordan. NBA Draft 2019: Zion Williamson enjoys chatter about teams’ fans Williamson, a 6-foot-7 forward, is averaging 22 points and 9.2 rebounds in his freshman season with the Blue Devils. He is shooting a staggering 68.1 percent from the floor. Despite weighing 285 pounds, Williamson is one college basketball’s most explosive athletes. Pippen thinks this will be a huge help at the next level. Related News “I think he’s sort of the Charles Barkley throwback that you’re not going to be able to match up with him, in terms of meeting his physicality that he’s going to bring to the game,” Pippen continued.Duke is 18-2 and ranked No. 2 in the nation. Williamson is expected to be the first pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, and Pippen’s Bulls are in the running to land him.last_img read more

Read More →