Carter shocks Higgins

first_img Carter, who could not take part in last month’s Haikou World Open due to complications with his Crohn’s disease, sealed a place in the last 16 with the win. He took advantage of a missed red to make a 79 clearance in the first frame before Higgins made it 1-1 with a run of 111. Carter then made it 3-1 and 4-2 to progress. Fit-again Ali Carter upset four-time world champion John Higgins with a 4-2 victory in the first round of the PTC Grand Finals in Galway. “I’ve been really struggling with my Crohn’s disease and haven’t been able to practise much so it’s a big win for me,” said Carter. “I just dug in and it was a good performance. The first frame was massive, it’s hard to clear up from 60 behind, especially against John Higgins. Chinese number one Ding Junhui reversed a 3-1 deficit to defeat Andrew Higginson 4-3. Higginson, a semi-finalist here last year, reeled off breaks of 57 and 71 on his way to a two-frame lead but Ding changed the momentum irreversibly with a turn of 118 in the fifth. “I didn’t play well for the first few frames, I found it difficult to control the white. After that I came back nicely,” said Ding. “I’ve been playing okay for the last few months so I’m happy at the moment.” His compatriot Xiao Guodong was also successful, securing a 4-1 win over former world champion Graeme Dott, who was in ragged form. Rod Lawler denied China another winner on the night as he defeated Cao Yupeng 4-2. After losing the opening frame, Liverpudlian Lawler took the next three to put him on the road to victory. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →

GOtv Boxing NextGen 5 Produces 13 Fresh Talents

first_imgThirteen young boxers, aged between 18 and 25, have emerged from GOtv Boxing NextGen Search 5, which ended in Ilorin yesterday. The programme, which began on Thursday, held at the Indoor Sports Hall of the Kwara State Sports Complex, where young amateur boxers from across the country took part in sparring sessions to determine their suitability for entry into the professional cadre. Among those present at the closing ceremony where the boxers were unveiled were President, Nigerian Boxing Board of Control (NBB of C), Dr. Rafiu Ladipo; Secretary-General of the Board, Mr. Remi Aboderin; Mallam Tunde Kazeem, Director, Kwara State Sports Commission and representatives of the sponsors led by Ms Jennifer Ukoh, Public Relations Manager, GOtv.The boxers were selected by a judges’ panel made up of coaches Joe Mensah, Obisia Nwakpa and Afolabi Olatoke, Vice Chairman, Kwara State Coaches Association. On selection, they were presented gifts by the sponsors. The three most outstanding boxers at the programme were presented with GOtv decoders by the sponsors, who will also pay for their professional boxing licences and pre-licensing medical examination of every selected boxer. Alaba Omotola emerged as the best boxer, while Chibudem Okafor and Abolade Akintunde emerged runners-up.Speaking at the ceremony, the NBB of C President commended the sponsors for their immense support for Nigerian boxing beginning from 2014 when GOtv Boxing Night began. He noted that it is their investments in the sport that has kept it afloat, adding that without developmental programmes such as GOtv Boxing NextGen Search, the sport’s would have very little chance of survival let alone growth. The NBB of C President urged other corporate bodies to emulate GOtv by supporting the sport, which he said has been revived and offers immense opportunity for Nigerian youth.GOtv Boxing NextGen Search debuted in February 2016 as an initiative to replenish the Nigerian professional boxing pool, which had almost dried up on account of neglect. Famous graduates of the programme include Rilwan “Baby Face” Babatunde, current West African Boxing Union (WABU) welterweight champion; Tope “TP Rock” Musa and Opeyemi “Sense” Adeyemi.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More →

Colombia FARC reach agreement on deescalating conflict

first_imgRelated posts:Colombian Embassy attaché tells of harrowing 13-year ordeal as a FARC captive An end to Colombia’s war seems close – except in rebel territory Demining Colombia will take ‘a generation’: minister Colombia announces cease-fire deal to end 52-year conflict with FARC HAVANA, Cuba — The Colombian government reached a historic agreement Sunday with leftist FARC guerrillas to de-escalate the decades-long armed conflict, diplomats in Havana said.The move marks a significant step in peace talks between the two sides that began in November 2012 but have been hampered in recent months by an uptick in violence.“The national government, from July 20, will launch a process of de-escalation of military action, in response to the suspension of offensive actions by the FARC,” said a joint statement read by Cuban and Norwegian diplomats, who have been mediating the talks.On July 8, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) said they would observe a one-month unilateral ceasefire.Cuba and Norway are acting as so-called “guarantor” countries in the peace talks. Chile and Venezuela are “escort” countries. All four had called for an urgent de-escalation of the violence.Colombia’s civil strife dates back to 1964 and has drawn in left-wing guerrillas, right-wing paramilitaries and drug gangs, killing more than 220,000 people and uprooting as many as six million.FARC rebels had been observing a unilateral ceasefire since December, and it led to relative calm.But clashes resumed in mid-April, following an ambush by the rebels that left 11 soldiers dead. Each side blames the other for the escalation. The FARC ended their truce in May.During that truce, the fighters claim that government forces stepped up attacks on rebel camps.Since that truce ended, about 30 rebels have been killed in army operations and recent surveys show the public is increasingly wary about the peace process. Facebook Commentslast_img read more

Read More →