Dominicans continue to mourn the death of Jeff Joseph

first_img Share Tweet Sharing is caring! Share LocalNews Dominicans continue to mourn the death of Jeff Joseph by: – November 24, 2011center_img 76 Views   no discussions Share Jeff Joseph during his performance at the 15th WCMF in Dominica last monthPrime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, Parliamentary Representative Kelver Darroux and the present and former Executive Directors of the Dominica Festivals Committee are among officials who are sympathizing with family and friends of Dominica’s Goodwill Ambassador and musical icon Jeff Joseph who died at the Le Maynard hospital in Martinique on Wednesday.Jeff Joe who is in his late fifties was confirmed dead on Wednesday after he underwent back to back surgeries in Martinique earlier this week for cardiovascular problems. Joseph is reported to have been on life support since he had been unconscious from Tuesday was taken off life support about 2 p.m. on Wednesday and died around 2:30 pm.Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, who spoke to local media moments after the news broke, said Dominica has lost a true Ambassador. “I want to, on behalf of the people and government of Dominica and myself to extend condolences to the family, friends and well wishers of Jeff Joe who was really a true Dominican icon and someone who loved his country dearly and who always had a positive statement about Dominica. He was no doubt synonymous with Dominica in the French countries; he was no doubt a true ambassador promoting our art form, promoting our country on a whole and encouraged people to visit our island. I believe that the entire country is in shock as a result of his death, he is someone that we will miss dearly, and he spent his entire lifetime entertaining people and making people happy, “he said. The prime minister also noted that while this is indeed sad news we have to accept it as it is “appointed unto man to die”.“It is sad that he passed away so suddenly but we have to be reminded that we are only pilgrims on earth and it appointed unto man to die and therefore we have to accept death as it is. We will continue to pray for his family and children that the good Lord will continue to give them strength and courage.”Meantime, Parliamentary Representative for St Joseph and a personal friend of Legendary Jeff Joe, Kelver Darroux, says he has made a significant contribution to the community. Darroux says Jeff Joe will be remembered for the impact he created on Dominica’s culture. “The community of St Joseph is saddened by the death of Jeff Joseph and he will always be remembered for his music. It is a sad day. He was a goodwill ambassador promoting Dominica. The Dominican public will remember him at the 15th edition of the World Creole Music Festival when he had a splendid performance,” Darroux said.The Events Director of the Dominica Festivals Committee Nathalie Clark Meade said her memories of Jeff Joe will be lasting ones.She says the entire organization is saddened by the news.“I have known him for a short space of time, but in that short space of time, I know that what I am feeling is a mere reflection of what Dominica is feeling at this time, having lost a unique original icon from Dominica,” she said.Former Executive Director of the Dominica Festivals Committee Val “Young Bull” Cuffy also reacted to the sad news by saying that Dominica has lost a great icon. And a founding member of Grammacks Clement Kato Ferreira says he is shocked and saddened by the news.He says Grammacks will never be the same again without Jeff Joe.The entire Dominican public and fans have also reacted to his death, saying that it came as a surprise.Jeff Joe’s body is expected to return home this week. Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

Read More →

Durban, South Africa will not host Games in 2022

first_imgThe 2022 Commonwealth Games will no longer be held in Durban, South Africa.David Grevemberg, chief executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said the city did not meet the criteria set by his organisation, and the search for a new host city had already begun.Durban was awarded the Games in September 2015 and was due to be the first African city to host the event, which was first held in 1930.Liverpool and Birmingham have expressed interest in staging the 2022 edition.The Commonwealth Games are held every four years and feature athletes from more than 50 countries, mostly former British colonies.Last month, South Africa’s sports minister Fikile Mbalula indicated Durban may not be able to host the 2022 event because of financial constraints. “We gave it our best shot but we can’t go beyond. If the country says we don’t have this money, we can’t,” he said.Grevemberg said: “We are disappointed but it does not diminish our commitment to the African continent.”We have had to postpone these ambitions to a later time. We all share disappointment that this ambition needs to be postponed right now.”We remain committed to the inspiring potential of a Games in the continent.”Grevemberg said the South African government had never signed off on the decision for Durban to host the Games. “We have a host city contract,” he said. “It was signed by all parties on the day except for the South African government.”We have engaged with the government to really try to work with their current circumstances but also uphold the commitments that were outlined in their bid. They were unable to do that at this time and we have had to look after the citizens and communities that our events serve.”Grevemberg said an announcement on a new host city would be made by the end of the year.”Discussions with a number of interested parties are under way,” he said. “I am confident an alternative host city will be found and that we will have an inspirational Games for the athletes and fans across the Commonwealth.”A spokesperson for Liverpool City Council said: “We had heard rumours that Durban might be unable to deliver the Commonwealth Games in 2022 and have already indicated to the government that we are very willing to host them instead.” Birmingham had already expressed an interest in hosting the 2026 Games.Councillor Ian Ward, deputy leader of the city council, said: “We are aware of the decision from the Commonwealth Games Federation to seek a new host for the 2022 Games.”Here in Birmingham we are already in the advanced stages of producing a detailed feasibility study on what would be needed for a truly memorable Games in the city.”That is due to be completed in the coming weeks and we are in close contact with the government about the developing situation.”last_img read more

Read More →