Jokic has triple-double as Nuggets beat Mavericks

first_imgDenver Nuggets center Nikola Jokic, left, of Serbia, tries to work the ball inside as Dallas Mavericks center Salah Mejri defends in the first half of an NBA basketball game Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)DENVER — Nikola Jokic completed his second triple-double with a late jumper to put Denver ahead, and the Nuggets held on to beat the Dallas Mavericks 91-89 on Saturday night.Jokic had 11 points, 16 rebounds and 11 assists. Gary Harris scored 24 to help Denver rally from nine points down in the fourth quarter for its third straight victory.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Read Next Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson View comments LATEST STORIES OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Nuggets point guard Jamal Murray was healthy but did not start for an undisclosed reason. After averaging 26.7 points in his previous three games, he struggled early Saturday before scoring all 15 of his points in the second half.The Mavericks were missing guards J.J. Barea (oblique strain) and Devin Harris (personal reasons) but played well without them. They faltered down the stretch, going 4:27 without a field goal late in the game.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkHarrison Barnes had 22 points and Dennis Smith Jr. had 13 points, six rebounds and six assists for Dallas. The Mavericks have lost three in a row.Dallas trailed by 12 early but quickly erased the deficit and took a three-point lead in the second quarter. The Mavericks went on a 16-1 run to end the third and take a 74-66 lead. Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak Denver rallied to get back into it, and Jokic drained a jumper from the top of the key to give the Nuggets a 91-89 lead with 1:12 left. Barnes missed a 3-pointer, but an offensive foul was called on Jokic with 12.7 seconds left. After Mason Plumlee blocked Smith’s layup out of bounds, Wesley Matthews missed a 3 at the buzzer. Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year MOST READ Curry scores 13 points over final 1:42, Warriors beat Celtics Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player awardlast_img read more

Read More →

Attawapiskat chief to begin what could be her last protest

first_imgBy Annette FrancisAPTN National NewsOttawa – Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence arrived on the steps of Parliament Hill Monday to begin what could be her final protest.“I’m willing to die for my people because the pain is too much and it’s time for (Prime Minister Stephen Harper) to realize what he’s doing to us,” said Spence.Spence said she intends to stay in Ottawa until a meeting is held with Harper or Queen Elizabeth to discuss treaty rights.News of the horrific living conditions in Attawapiskat made international news last year.After making headlines the federal government stepped in and appointed a third-party manager.Spence says the crisis in her community is still unresolved.“It’s still the same people are still living in trailers and more are asking for sheds because they have no materials,” she said on the steps of Parliament Hill.The inspiration for Spence’s hunger strike comes after attending last week’s Special Chiefs Assembly in Gatineau, Que.“How many times do we have to write a letter to the prime minister concerning our land and our people?” she said.She has the support of Cliff Summers, a former resident of Onieda of the Thames who now resides in Ottawa.Summers said the frustrations are growing over broken trust and imposed legislation.“There’s a peoples movement across Canada and we have to make it clear that we cannot accept the only future for our young people is suicide because we lead the statistics in Canada,” he said.She also has the support of NDP MP Charlie Angus who said Harper needs to understand the colonialist ways need to change.“We’ve lost basic sense of respect because when it comes to First Nations and the Crown, there is no honour of the Crown right now in terms of any First Nations so I don’t know what will happen, how far this will go, but I’m sensing a real anger. This could be the match on dry grass, I don’t know,” said Angus.But when prodded during Question Period if Minister of Aboriginal Affairs John Duncan will meet with Spence, the government avoided the question.Spence will be staying on Victoria Island that sits below Parliament Hill and the Supreme Court of Canada. She began her strike Tuesday morning.last_img read more

Read More →

Supreme Court loss pushes Athabasca Chipewyan FN towards Sovereignty Summer campaign

first_imgAPTN National News EDMONTON–The chief of an Alberta First Nations battling a tar sands expansion on its territory says he is considering joining Idle No More’s call for a “Sovereignty Summer” campaign after the Supreme Court of Canada dismissed its case.The Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation went to the Supreme Court with a section 35 Constitutional challenge in hopes of forcing a regulatory review board to rule on whether there had been adequate consultation on Shell’s bid to expand its Jackpine tarsands project.The First Nation turned to the courts after having its challenge were turned down by the Alberta Court of Appeal.As is its practice, the Supreme Court gave no reasons as to why it refused to hear the Athabasca Chipewyan’s case.Chief Allan Adam said the ruling leaves his First Nation with little options. With plans for an Idle No More-Defenders of the Land Sovereignty Summer campaign of direct action in the works, Adam said it may be the route his First Nation will have to take.“It is more than likely that it will probably head in that direction,” said Adam. “What else do you have left and if you are backed into a corner what do you do.”Adam said the First Nation is also considering taking legal action against the province of Alberta.“It puts the onus back on the province,” he said. “The province has to answer to our concerns.”The case dates back to October 2012 when the First Nation launched a constitutional challenge asking the Joint Review Panel to rule on whether the Crown had consulted enough on Shell’s application. The First Nation argued that the expansion would impact its treaty and aboriginal rights to hunt, fish and trap.The panel ruled later that month it didn’t have the jurisdiction to hear the challenge and then denied a motion by the First Nation to adjourn the hearings. The First Nation then went to the Alberta Court of Appeal, but had its application for appeal dismissed.The First Nation then turned to the Supreme Court in January.last_img read more

Read More →

Inquiry fires 3 people in wake of Edmonton complaints

first_imgAPTN NewsThree people have been fired after families complained of mistreatment by the MMIWG Inquiry, APTN News has learned.Two front-line staffers for the Yukon and one in Winnipeg were dumped, multiple sources confirmed Tuesday night.“They are scapegoats,” a source not authorized to comment said. “It’s a knee-jerk reaction.”It’s also a return to the drama that plagued the inquiry over the past year after a reprieve of a few calm weeks. The women fired were Melissa Carlick, Jodie Millward, and Morene Gabriel. Two other staffers resigned in protest, sources said. APTN News originally reported that Carlick had resigned.Carlick could not be reached for comment. The women worked with families and survivors on after-care plans – a delicate job requiring hours on the phone with vulnerable people. But they had to go, sources said after members of the National Family Advisory Circle complained in a conference call and letters to commissioners and senior staff as APTN reported last week. The inquiry had been picking up steam after a successful release of its interim report in Ottawa Nov. 1. It completed hearings in Edmonton last week and is preparing for Saskatoon next week. But sources said Edmonton was shaky and Carlick was let go there. Karen Snowshoe, her Yukon co-worker told APTN News earlier on Tuesday that she resigned. Gabriel said she plans to hold a news conference this week. She declined to be interviewed but told APTN that “I worked honourably.”last_img read more

Read More →