Propaganda Department sets rule for covering Shanghai Expo and Qinghai earthquake

first_imgNews April 27, 2021 Find out more The Information Office, whose responsibilities include monitoring the Internet, has reminded major news websites that they can not do their own reporting. As regards the earthquake, the government has ordered sites managers to make sure that reports contain no mention of the Dalai Lama and the solidarity campaigns organised by Tibetans. Receive email alerts The Chinese authorities are also preventing the Hong Kong-based newspaper Apple Daily from going to Shanghai to cover the exhibition. In 2008, the authorities initially refused to give the newspaper permission to cover the Beijing Olympic Games before finally relenting. News China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison News News These directives have coincided with the arrest of Tibetan writer and scholar Tagyal, who is better known by the pen-name of Shogdung, for signing an open letter about the earthquake. Local police in Xining, in the western province of Qinghai, arrested him during a search of the offices of the Qinghai Nationalities publishing house on 23 April. The police also seized computers from his home that evening. His wife said they later came back to give her a copy of the order for his arrest. RSF_en Signed by Tagyal and other Tibetan intellectuals and released on 17 April, the open letter offered condolences to the families of the victims and criticised certain aspects of the Chinese government’s handling of the relief efforts. The authorities had prevented Tagyal from visiting the quake-hit areas. Help by sharing this information Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes The authorities meanwhile also jammed a special programme of condolences broadcast by Voice of Tibet, an independent radio station based abroad.Finally, Zhu Di, the editor of the opinion pages of Nanfang Dushi Bao (Southern Metropolitan), a daily based in the southern province of Guangdong, was suspended on 17 April for allowing the publication of an opinion piece six days earlier that was entitled “Loving one’s country does not mean loving one’s government.” Her suspension was ordered by the province’s governor. According to the information obtained by Reporters Without Borders, the Propaganda Department has set the following rules for covering the earthquake: Talk of the earthquake in “scientific terms” ; Do not criticise the earthquake forecasting agency ; Do not focus too much on the efforts by Buddhist monks to help the victims ; and Give extensive coverage to the appeals for donations organised by state-owned CCTV.“The Propaganda Department’s attitude is incredibly paternalistic and conservative,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We call for an end to censorship of the consequences of the Qinghai earthquake and for the release of the Tibetan writer who was arrested last week because of the comments he made.”It was to denounce this kind of censorship and repression that Reporters Without Borders has launched for the Shanghai Expo a virtual Garden of Freedoms on its website at http://en.rsf.org/shanghai_en.html China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures The government has also told the main websites to provide only limited coverage of the leadership changes in Xinjiang province and to prevent any comments on subjects linked to the conflict under way there. The Propaganda Department and the government Information Office have imposed strict rules for coverage of the Shanghai World Expo that begins this weekend and the 14 April earthquake in the Tibetan province of Qinghai. ChinaAsia – Pacific to go further ChinaAsia – Pacific June 2, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders has been told that another directive from the Propaganda Department on 25 April asked the media to reduce their coverage of the consequences of the Qinghai earthquake and increase the number of reports and features about the Shanghai exhibition. Follow the news on China April 29, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Propaganda Department sets rule for covering Shanghai Expo and Qinghai earthquake In a 23 April directive, the Propaganda Department asked the Chinese media to wait until after tomorrow’s opening ceremony to run articles about the exhibition’s best pavilions and advised them to use the official news agency Xinhua’s reports about the content of the pavilions. March 12, 2021 Find out more Organisation last_img read more

Read More →

Oxford hospitals introduce new app driven system

first_imgOxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust will be the first in the UK to introduce a digital system which will allow greater integration of third-party applications into day-to-day patient care.The Hospitals Trust intends to draw on apps created in Oxford and elsewhere in the UK, which could potentially boost app developers’ visibility in the global market.The system, which provides a common interface for the different apps, is deployed by American technology company, Cerner.The system is currently live, and the Trust hopes to implement its first application in the new year.Speaking to Cherwell, the Trust hoped that that the system would both reduce the cost and the time taken for “the most up-to-date digital technologies” to be implemented within its hospitals.Patients will be able to become “joint participants” in their own care, with the new interface allowing them to access and update their own medical records, while clinical teams will be able to adopt specific apps appropriate to their specialism.Such “open-source” technology is becoming more usual in the UK and is increasingly mandated as part of NHS digital programmes.Two other Trusts in the UK, both  ‘Global Digital Exemplars’ like the Oxford Hospitals Trust, will be implementing similar technology in the coming months, with further Trusts in the Thames Valley also hoping to make reforms later in 2019.A spokesperson for the Trust told Cherwell: “The research-led, innovation-focused nature of the Oxford healthcare ecosystem makes it an ideal place to test such technologies.”They added: “The curriculum of all medical schools needs to adapt and change to accommodate the fast-paced transformation that new digital technology is enabling.”last_img read more

Read More →

Cardiff fans seek name change pledge

first_img Press Association “We would like a firm commitment from Mr Tan that a Hull City-style change of name will not be countenanced by him at any time in the future,” Trust chairman Tim Hartley said in a statement. “Once again, Mr Tan’s interview illustrates how important it is to have strong supporter involvement in football clubs, as happens at Swansea City and many other clubs across Wales and England, and in Europe in countries like Germany.” Hartley criticised the timing of Tan’s interview, with the club three points adrift of safety in the fight to stay in the Barclays Premier League, and has called on him to engage with fans’ groups. Hartley said: “We are disappointed Mr Tan has raised uncertainty about the future at a time when the team is fighting to retain Premier League status. “Mr Tan talks about wanting to unite with fans. The first thing he could do to help towards achieving that would be to meet the Trust and Cardiff City Supporters’ Club as was promised in December last year. “Putting that meeting into the distant future is not acceptable and shows disrespect to supporters. “While fans are grateful for the significant investment into Cardiff City, we don’t believe fans need to apologise for campaigning for a return to our traditional blue colours. “We are also concerned Mr Tan has yet to decide whether to convert the debt owed to him into equity, which is what fans were promised in no uncertain terms. “This season should have been an exciting experience for fans after an absence of more than 50 years from the top flight, but it has been soured by continuing off-the-field distractions,” added Hartley. Tan has given a wide-ranging interview to the BBC in which he stands by the decision to switch the club’s colours from blue to red, claims former manager Malky Mackay “got lucky” in winning promotion, criticised the British press for being “a little bit racist” in their portrayal of him and claimed that only a minority of supporters oppose his ownership of the club. Having seen Tan dispense with one tradition, the Cardiff City Supporters’ Trust now wants assurances from the Malaysian businessman that he will not seek to alter the club’s name. Egyptian businessman Assem Allam, who owns Hull City, wants to rename his club Hull Tigers for commercial reasons. center_img Cardiff fans have asked owner Vincent Tan to promise he will not consider changing the name of the club.last_img read more

Read More →

Nadal Dares ITF to Publish His Drug Test Results

first_imgWorld number five Rafael Nadal has invited the International Tennis Federation (ITF) to publish the results of all of his drugs tests.The Spaniard is suing former French government Minister, Roselyne Bachelot, who accused him of doping.In a letter to the ITF, he said people should not “speak without evidence”.The 29-year-old added: “Please make all my information public, my biological passport and my complete history of anti-doping tests.” On receipt of the letter, the ITF said the 14-time Grand Slam champion has never failed a drugs test and is free to make public his anti-doping records, to which he has full access.Nadal also asked the ITF to communicate all future occasions on which he is tested and the results, as soon as they are ready.Earlier this year, women’s world number nine Maria Sharapova admitted to testing positive for meldonium at this year’s Australian Open. The Russian is serving a provisional suspension and faces a lengthy ban.British number one Andy Murray told the Mail on Sunday earlier this month he had been suspicious of some opponents who “don’t seem to be getting tired”.The issue of full disclosure of athletes’ anti-doping results has proved controversial in other sports.British Athletics warned past and present athletes against allowing their blood data to be revealed, warning results could be “misinterpreted”.However, several athletes – including distance runners Mo Farah and Jo Pavey – have said results should be made public.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More →

Local Colleges Receive Hundreds of Millions in COVID-19 Relief Aid

first_imgArthur Keiser, chancellor and CEO of Fort Lauderdale-based Keiser University, says, “We’re trying to make sure all students are covered.”Keiser must allocate at least $10.6 million of its funding to student aid, which “sounds like a lot, but it doesn’t go very far. We have almost 20,000 students,” adds the chancellor.While several other South Florida’s universities, including FAU and NSU, are still developing their plans for distributing money, FIU began accepting applications April 24. The university has received more than 3,200 applications and funded $2.5 million in requests, according to FIU spokeswoman Maydel Santana.Additionally, about half of the federal money can be used to offset expenses or losses for the institutions. FIU has calculated its losses at $6.2 million for spring, including refunds for housing and meals, protective equipment, cleaning and sanitizing, and new software. The expenses and losses are expected to be about $11 million for the summer term. “The longer this goes on, of course, the larger the shortfall,” Santana explains.Keiser said there could be new expenses if students return in the fall, as schools determine how to keep students and faculty safe. That could involve having fewer students in each classroom where everyone must wear masks and gloves. Each residential student could also be placed in a private dorm room, rather than sharing with a roommate.“Our plan is to be back to school in the fall, following whatever rules we’re given,” Arthur Keiser notes. Local college students who have been struggling to pay their bills and keep up their studies during the pandemic are getting some help from the federal government.The coronavirus relief act, or CARES Act, passed by Congress is providing hundreds of millions of dollars to local institutions, including public and private universities, community colleges and for-profit institutions.Among the local schools receiving money: Miami Dade College ($49 million), Florida International University ($38 million), Broward College ($27 million), Florida Atlantic University ($22 million), Keiser University ($21.2 million), Palm Beach State College ($18.9 million), University of Miami ($8 million) and Nova Southeastern University ($7.2 million).At least half of each school’s money is required to go toward emergency cash grants for students.The law requires recipients to already be receiving some form of federal aid, such as a Pell Grant, which goes to low-income students, or federally backed student loans, which have no income restrictions.Officials from several institutions say they are still working on exact eligibility requirements for the new money.last_img read more

Read More →